Plan for class (40 minutes):
- Introduction and Beginning Survey (10 minutes)
- Explain who we are and what the Aspen Challenge is and the challenge we are taking on. (Gaby’s Part)
- Pass out surveys that ask questions on financial issues. For example: how many have savings accounts, knowing the difference between wants and needs, etc.
- Go through survey with the students (ask a question and just get a feel for how people feel by raise of hands)
- Play “LYFE” Facts Video (5 minutes)
- Discussion and Wants vs Needs Activity (20 minutes)
- Discuss video (2 minutes).
- Wants v Needs Activity: A small activity where the students are divided into two teams and they elect a representative to answer the questions we ask them. We will ask questions like “If you were given $800 would you rather buy Jordans/or designer clothes. Or use that money on buying a laptop as it is an essential everyone needs.” Then explain which option is the better choice. The team with the most “correct” answers will win and get a wristband. Everyone gets a button at the end of the activity. (10 minutes). Everyone will get a chance to speak for this.
- Discuss college tuitions and scholarships (give a small gloss-over on scholarships such as the Merit Scholarship and the Posse Scholarship). Explain why knowing about these issues is important when going into high school. (5 minutes)
- End Survey (5 minutes)